The 2nd Phase for Prime Minister National Laptop Scheme has been announced by the Higher Education Commission (HEC) of Pakistan. Since the schemes under the Prime Minister’s initiative was announced for five years, the phase-II of the PMLS has been officially launched for 2015. During this phase, 100,000 laptops will be distributed amongst the talented and brilliant students according to eligibility and distribution criteria set by the HEC.
Last Date for Prime Minster Laptop Scheme 2015
Last date to apply for is December 15, 2015. Students who meet the eligibility criteria are advised to visit PMNLS portal and apply online or update their profiles at www.pmnls.hec.gov.pk
According to HEC, “Similar to the past year, the scheme is conceived as a comprehensive ecosystem around the laptop instead of distributing “black boxes” to students. Ecosystem as envisaged around the laptop hardware for this project, consists of various components ranging from licensed/ genuine Windows 8.1 Operating System; Microsoft Office365 application software; Training opportunity at Microsoft IT Academy at respective university/ institutes; Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Certification voucher, 3G EVO Device; and Access to HEC’s National Digital Library using 3G EVO Device. These aspects will not only bring value to money but will create synergy with relevant industries, as well as help HEIs to provide state-of-the-art technologically enabled academic environment at par with HEIs in the developed world.
Prime Minister Laptop Scheme Eligibility Criteria
Laptops will be provided to following categories of students enrolled in any public sector HEIs of Pakistan and AJK duly recognized by HEC.
Students enrolled not earlier than their respective program duration as per the table below and remained enrolled till June 30, 2015
|S. No.||Program||Duration (Max.)||Enrolment after|
|1.||Bachelors||4/ 5 years||Jul. 2011/ Jul. 2010|
|2.||Masters (16 year education)||1/ 2 years||Jul. 2014/ Jul. 2013|
|3.||MBA 1.5/ 2.5/ 3.5||1.5/ 2.5/ 3.5 years||Jan. 2014/ Jan. 2013/ Jan. 2012|
|4.||MS/ MPhil||2 years||Jul. 2013|
|5.||PhD (Natural Sciences)||5 years||Jul. 2010|
|6.||PhD (Social Sciences & Others)||4 years||Jul. 2011|
- Students studying in public sector Universities/ Degree Awarding Institutes duly recognized by HEC.
o Students enrolled in PhD/ MS/ MPhil or equivalent 18 year program
o Students enrolled in 1 or 2-year Master’s degree program (morning and evening)
o Student enrolled in 4-year or 5-year Bachelor degree program (morning and evening)
- Students studying as distant learner in Virtual University of Pakistan or Allama Iqbal Open University.
- Students studying in government degree or postgraduate colleges of Federal Capital and Federally Administered Tribal Areas.
- Students’ eligibility and enrolment status as defined above shall be determined as of June 30, 2015, however if there is any unforeseen delay causing ineligibility of students, then those students having their online application submitted will maintain their eligibility intact.
- Criteria for Students enrolled in distance learning program at VU and AIOU, and students of polytechnic institutes of Pakistan and AJK shall be defined in coordination with respective universities/ boards and will be updated accordingly.
- No laptop shall be issued to those who have availed in the past from such initiative(s) taken by the government or by the higher education institute.