The IDL is the result of the United Nations Convention on International Road Traffic of 19 September 1949. The United Nations doesn’t actually issue the license, they merely determined and wrote the guidelines pertaining to the issuance of the International Driving Permit (IDP) or IDL as they are usually called. International Driver’s License or rather International Driving License Permit is a document that grants someone the privilege of driving a motor vehicle legally while abroad. This permission is given to the every native of the country to drive abroad. This document is used as a proof and acknowledgment of the fact that the person is eligible of driving. In abroad only those can drive a motor vehicle who has IDP. This license can be used in all those countries that support international driver’s license. These countries let the people to drive in their country. If you have it issued from the Pakistani government then this will be acceptable mostly in the countries where left hand driving pattern is valid. But it does not replace your Pakistan government-issued driver’s license. Basically, it is not a driving it serves as a basic translation of your driver’s license.
Which things are translated in an IDP/IDL
IDP/IDL serves as a basic translation of your driver’s license. The following features are translated.
- Full name.
- Relevant driver information.
Why we need IDP/IDL
An IDL/IDP is NOT a driver’s license. It is only a translation of your present license. The purpose of composing this license is to sort out a language barrier between motorists and police. This is the reason it’s written in nine different languages including: English, French, German, Spanish, and Chinese. It is similar in size and style to a standard passport. However, more often than not a traffic officer who stops you in a country different from where your license issues, will accept this as a license. It is also helpful in some unexpected situation like an accident is happened by you in abroad. You can show it as a proof of your eligibility to drive. An IDP may also be necessary to rent a car in the country you’re visiting.
Requirements and restrictions for IDP/IDL
The following things are required to apply:
- You must be at least 18 years old to apply for an international driving permit.
- You must carry both your IDP and your driver’s license when driving abroad.
- You must obtain your IDP in the same country that issued your driver’s license.
- You can never use your IDP to drive in the country in which it was issued.
- It is valid for up to one full year from the issued date. After one year this license will be expired.
How to Get International Driving License/Permit
In order to get the international driving from government of Pakistan these are some of the instructions that you may follow:
- First of all, you need to fill the form for applying for the international driving license. You can access the form from here. You can download it and fill it. Click Here or download from here.
- Attach three recent passport size photographs
- Photocopy of Valid passport and Visa Valid copy
- Photocopy of local driving license.
- Photocopy of National Identity Card
- Medical Certificate
Countries accepting International Driving Permit
Following is the list of countries that have agreed to accept the 1949 United Nations Convention on road traffic covering acceptance of the International Driving Permit.
|Belgium||Ireland||St. Vincent and Gren.|
|Central African Rep.||Kyrgyz Republic||South Africa|
|Congo, Rep. of||Lesotho||Surinam|
|Congo, Dem. Rep.||Luxembourg||Swaziland|
|Ecuador||Mexico||Trinidad and Tobago|
|Georgia (Rep. of)||Norway||Venezuela|
|Greece||Papua New Guinea||Zambia|