Mixed rice dishes in Pakistan are the real delicacy of Pakistani foods. It is not about Biryani only rather it is about rice that 80% population of Pakistan wants to have by any way been it Pulao, Plain Cooked Rice, Spiced Rice, Zeera Rice, Biryani or Chinese Fried Rice.
For past many years, Biryani has got considerable attention in Pakistani society but still Pulao is the first preference in the Southern parts of Pakistan. Now Biryani in Pakistan is not restricted to simple Biryani only. Biryani in Pakistan has various styles like Hyderabadi Biryani, Sindhi Biryani, Egg Biryani, Shrimp Biryani, Daal Biryani, Fish Biryani and likewise others. The basic ingredients remain same except the special preferences like egg, fish, daal, meat or something else.
Here is the recipe for Mutton/Chicken/Fish/Daal Biryani
- 1 to 2 kg mutton or chicken (preferably bony & fatty). You can use other meats or vegetables as per your own liking.
- 1 kg basmati rice
- 100 to 150 grm. Yogurt
- 3 to 4 tsp. salt (according to taste)
- 1 medium onion
- 6 garlic (Lehsan) cloves
- 1 tbs. ginger (Adrak) paste
- 12-16 green cardamom (Chhoti Ilaichi)
- 1½ to 2 tbs. garlic (Lehsan) paste
- 16-20 cloves (Laung)
- 1 cup oil, preferably ghee
- 2-3 tbs. Kewra
- ½ tsp. yellow food colour
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 pinch saffron (Zafran)
- ½ tbs. lemon juice
- Add mutton, salt and garlic (Lehsan) cloves in a pot with 2 glasses of water. If you are using chicken you can do with only one glass of water or less.
- Cook on low flame till the meat is tender and the water dries.
- Take one medium onion slice it and fry it in about 1 cup of oil/ghee till it is light brown. Add the rest of the spices, yogurt and fry it little and then add the meat.
- Simultaneously soak the rice in water for half an hour.
- Boil the rice with 1 tbs. of salt and ½ tbs. of lemon juice till it is ¾ cooked. Drain the water and keep it aside.
- Transfer a little rice to a pot and on top of that add some of the meat masala combo so as to make layers of rice and masala keeping rice layer at the bottom and top.
- Sprinkle on it a solution of Kewra, yellow food colour, 1 tsp. of sugar and a pinch of Saffron (Zafran) soaked in a tbs. of milk or water.
- Keep it covered and on a low flame for about 10 minutes keeping the pot tightly closed to steam cook (dum).
- When the rice is done, the biryani is ready.
- Serve with salad or Garlic (Lehsan) chutney and Raita.
- Serving: 6 to 8 persons.
How To Cook Perfect Biryani Video
Chicken Biryani dedicated to Pakistan Karachi
Chicken Biryani چکن بریانی – Pakistani Dish