Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) is the only governing body in Pakistan that regulates the matters of granting approval against telecommunication equipment to be imported in Pakistan either for the purpose of personal use or commercial purpose. According to the directions and instructions of PTA backed by Telecom Act 1996 (sec 29), “No terminal equipment can be directly or indirectly connected to PSTN unless it has been type approved by PTA. Type approved granted by PTA signifies that particular telecommunication equipment is approved for general sale and is suitable to connect to a specific public telecommunication network.” As per standing operating procedures (SOPs), NOCs for maximum of 5 mobile handsets, tablets, etc. for personal use are issued.
Important: Used Mobile Phones will be confiscated by Customs Authorities.
PTA deals in two types of NOC that are For Personal NOC and For Commercial NOC. Procedure for personal use is given below for PTA NOC for mobile / tablet import.
How to Request Personal PTA NOC:
Those who are looking for getting NOC for Tablet PC smartphone with SIM function are advised to follow the below mentioned instructions
1) Applicants are required to Send following documents/information to PTA:
- Application stating the purpose of use. (if it is for commercial basis, applicant would be asked to apply for type approval to PTA HQ and if the same is for gift or personal use then applicant would be asked to provide documents from serial b-g) PTA NOC Application Sample File
- A copy of shipment document i.e. airway bill number or GPO Customs letter etc. or courier issued receipt containing tracking number etc.
- A copy of CNIC
- A copy of (commercial) invoice
Things needed to clearly mentioned in Application:
- Brand Name, Model Number
- IMEI number
- Postal Address where the NOC is to be dispatched via Pakistan Postal Services (Applicants Address)
- Quantity identified in a serial order containing brand name, model number and IMEI number against each device.
2) After verification of IMEIs, NOC for a maximum of 5 devices including mobile phones and tablet PCs with SIM Functionality for will be issued.
3) If NOC is requested for more than 5 sets, the applicant will be asked to apply for type approval for the sets.
4) If the applicant is other than the receiver of the shipment then he/she must provide authorization, for delivery of NOC. (Authority letter duly signed by the consignee is required).
5) Applicant can file for Personal NOC via following methods:
- Email all scanned documentation at [email protected]
- Send all required documentation to PTA HQ, F-5/1, Islamabad addressed to Type Approval Directorate. (Preferred and Responsive Method)
- By Hand delivery via submission at PTA HQ reception
6) After verification of required documents, NOC (No Objection Certificate) will be issued to the applicant and dispatched via postal services to the provided mailing address at the time of application submission.
PTCL Type Approved Equipment
- Card Payphones
- Cordless Phone Sets
- Desktop Phones
- Encryption Devices
- Fax Data / DSL Modem
- Fixed Wireless Terminals
- Bluetooth Modules
- CDMA Terminals
- GSM Terminals/Gateways
- 2G/2.5G/3G/LTE Modules
- Wi-Fi BT Modules
- Wi-Fi + BT Terminals/Access Points
- Wi-Fi Combo Modules
- WiMAX Terminals
- IP Phones
- Line Protection Units
- PABX / IP-PABX
- Satellite Terminals
- Two Way Wireless Radio
- Vehicle Security Devices
- Vehicle Tracking System
- Mobile Phone Handsets
- Tablet PCs & iPads (Sim Based)
- Wifi Terminals
- Wireless LAN Cards
- GSM Based Equipment
Warning: Not all Mobile Phones companies are approved by PTA i.e. Xiaomi is Banned in Pakistan. Be careful before ordering cell phone in Pakistan.